Garlic is a herb best known as a flavouring agent for recipes. Over the years, it has also been proven to be an effective medicine to prevent or treat a wide range of diseases and conditions.
Here’s 5 reasons why we love the Garlic:
- It is often used for many conditions related to the heart and blood system.
- While garlic is a common flavouring in food, some scientists have suggested that it might have a role as a food additive to prevent food poisoning. There is evidence that fresh garlic can kill certain bacteria such as E. coli, antibiotic-resistant Staphylococcus Aureusand Salmonella Enteritidis in the laboratory.
- Garlic may be effective in slowing the development of atherosclerosis and seems to be able to modestly reduce blood pressure.
- Garlic has been tried for treating an enlarge prostate, diabetes, osteoarthritis, hayfever, pre-eclampsia, cold and flue. It is used to build the immune system, prevent tick bites, and treat bacterial and fungal infections.
It is also used for fighting stress and fatigue, and maintaining healthy liver function.
- Garlic produces a chemical called allicin. This is what seems to make garlic work for certain conditions. Allicin also makes garlic smell. Some products are made “odorless” by aging the garlic, but this process can also make the garlic less effective.