Great as an appetizer or even as a light and healthy snack, this recipe calls for the use of Kale and Quinoa, a combination of power foods. Kale is definitely one of the healthiest and most nutritious green. It is loaded with powerful medicinal properties. It has a refreshing crunch and unique flavor. Quinoa is a good source of protein and a good substitute for rice, wheat and other starchy grain produces. With twice the protein content of rice or barley, quinoa is also a very good source of calcium, magnesium and manganese. This recipe will cook up delicate yet flavorful meat-free patties.
Prep Time: 25min
Cook Time: 15min
1 cup quinoa
5-6 large kale leaves
4 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup fat free grated parmesan cheese
3 spring onion, diced
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley (plus more for serving)
1/2 lemon (both the zest and juice)
1 cup breadcrumbs
6 tbsp safflower or vegetable oil (divided, plus more for serving)
- Rinse quinoa and then combine it in a medium saucepan with two cups water. Let it soak for about 15 minutes, bring it to a boil then reduce to a simmer and put the top on the pan. Simmer for 20 minutes, remove the lid, fluff with a fork and let come to room temp.
- Steam kale leaves for about 30 seconds, just to soften a little then chop into small pieces. In a large bowl combine the cooked quinoa, the kale pieces, eggs, parmesan cheese, spring onion, garlic, salt, cumin, parsley, the zest from 1/2 a lemon and the bread crumb.
- Combine well. Heat 3 tbsp of the oil over medium heat in a high sided skillet. While that’s heating up, form your patties using an ice cream scoop for uniformity.
- Cook six patties at a time, so as not to crowd the pan. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes until golden brown and then put those six in an oven on a cooling rack on a baking sheet then turn the oven to 200 degrees to keep hot while you make the next six patties.
- Dump out any remaining oil from the first batch and re-heat 3 more tbsp before making the second batch.
- Serve the patties topped with avocado slices, sea salt, cilantro or parsley leaves, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil.